On Wednesday the 4th of March, 800 SEDA College students across five regions celebrated International Women’s Day (IWD).
At SEDA College we use International Women’s Day as an important opportunity to educate and inspire our students about the role of women in society. From celebrating women’s achievements through to challenging gender stereotypes and bias. At SEDA College we’re using this year IWD theme #EachforEqual as an opportunity to educate the students of today who will become the global citizens of the future.
Students and staff were fortunate to hear from incredible guest speakers such as Kelly Cartwright (World Champion Paralympian and OAM recipient), Darcy Vescio (AFLW Carlton) and Melissa Barbieri (Olympian and Matilda). They shared their personal stories, their passion and educated students as to why an equal world is an enabled world.
In addition, thought leaders Justine Le Roche (Psychologist, Leadership and Learning Specialist) and Dr Hannah Macdougall (Paralympian) shared key messages around individual enablement, resilience, courage and the importance of positive role models.
Feedback from students was overwhelmingly positive in particular their feedback for guest speaker Courtney Ugle (Essendon FC Women’s Football Development Coordinator) SEDA College student via Instagram “Thank you Courtney so much for everything you have done in the AFL industry and the women you have inspired, including myself. You really touched my heart today, best of luck with your AFL career.”
The College thanks each of our amazing speakers for taking the time to attend our events and the important messages that were delivered on the day. Today we wish everyone a Happy International Women’s Day and recognise the need to help forge a gender-equal word.
The SEDA College International Women’s Day 2020 Speakers List:
- Flavia Kaucic: Marketing and Communications specialist
- Natalie Wood: Senior Coach, Geelong VFLW
- Melissa Barbieri: Professional Athlete; Australian international footballer
- Courtney Ugle: Women’s Football Development Coordinator, Essendon Football Club
- Kelly Cartwright OAM: World Champion, Paralympic gold and silver medallist
- Hannah Scott: Western Bulldogs AFLW player
- DR Hannah Macdougall: Elite Para athlete, dual Paralympian Medallist and Inclusion Advocate
- Justine La Roche: Psychologist
- Darcy Vescio: Carlton AFLW player, All Australian
- Peta Searle: Head Coach, St. Kilda Football Club AFLW
A huge thank you to everyone involved.